Christian School Project
CHRISTIAN SCHOOL PROJECT
Currently we have 14 Bible Baptist
schools throughout Togo. We have trained almost all the 94 teachers and school
directors. The enrollment, k-6, this 2011-2012 school year is 2585 students.
Our Christian schools exist to educate
and disciple future leaders for family, church, and community. Any parents in
the community are welcome to enroll their children in our schools.
Our Bible-centered, comprehension-based
curriculum prepares our students not only for their year-end exams but for a
life of service to God and others. Besides being unique in having a
comprehensive Bible curriculum, we are likely the only schools in Togo that
begin reading instruction in mother tongue. This instruction enables children
to focus on meaning in text and not just pronunciation, and leads to more
effective instruction in second language, French, the official language.
IV. FacultyOur Togolese teachers, grades 1-6, have been trained for a year by ABWE missionaries. Rather than simply insisting that teachers not routinely hit children (which we do insist on), we disciple teachers in Christian virtues of compassion, patience, love, and respect to change their attitudes toward children and we teach them classroom management procedures that enable them to manage the classroom without force or ridicule. The teachers have also solidified their knowledge of subject matter content and have learned teaching techniques to enable children to understand and practice what they learn.
V. Future Plans
- Grace Baptist Church and Academy, Chattanooga, TN, has been instrumental in funding teacher training and classroom materials
- Tyndale House generously funded textbooks for upper elementary school grades
- CWE, Construction for Worldwide Evangelism, built four classroom buildings
- Calvary Baptist Church of Covington, KY, built two classroom buildings
- Christian radio station KVTT in Dallas, TX, raised money for this project
- Numerous churches and individual donors contribute to missionary and project support monthly and annually